Phil Vickery's Christmas cake stuffing
Published Tuesday, 17 December 2013
For the second day of Phil Vickery's festive feast he gives a stuffing masterclass with a side of spiced cranberry sauce and he also demonstrates a great idea for a vegetarian centrepiece for the christmas table.
Phil Vickery's Christmas cake stuffing. (© Ken McKay)
enough for a 5kg bird
about an hour, but can be cooked the day before.
Christmas Cake Stuffing
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 500g good quality sausage meat
- 200g Christmas cake, no icing or marzipan, crumbled
- about 6 tbsp natural dried breadcrumbs
- 1 whole medium egg
- 150g dried cranberries
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions, allspice and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the sausage meat and stir well.
- Just break down the sausage meat but do not actually cook it through.
- Then cool slightly, add enough bread crumbs to stiffen up the mixture, but remember that they will continue to thicken as they reconstitute themselves so take care not to add too many.
- Stir in the whole egg and cranberries and beat the whole mixture well.
- Finally add the Christmas pudding and some salt and pepper.
- Stuff the bird when required.
Fruity Fragarnt (non meat) Stuffing
- 6 tbsp oil, any will do
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 red onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 100g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 100g dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 100g chopped dried cherries, finely chopped
- 2 x 250g microwaveable coconut rice, re heated
- 50g chopped honey roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 100g chopped pistachios, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the spices, quickly fry then add the onions, garlic and ginger cook for 10 minutes to soften nicely.
- Spoon into a bowl, then add the fruit, warmed rice and nuts and really mix well.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Finally the egg to bind and the parsley and sage. Again mix well.
- Stuff the bird, or spoon into a lightly greased baking dish and bake separately.
Spiced Cranberry Sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, heaped
- 2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped very finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 150g fresh cranberries
- 2 large apples, peeled and cored and chopped finely
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100cc Cider vinegar
- 300mls cold water
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the vegetable oil in a stainless steel saucepan.
- Add the cumin and nutmeg and stir around in the hot oil to release their wonderful aroma, but do not burn.
- Next add the onions and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes finally add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the cranberries and apples, sugar and some salt and pepper and stir well.
- Pour in the vinegar and cold water and bring to the boil and turn down the heat and simmer gently for about 25 minutes.
- When nearly all the liquid has evaporated, check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the olive oil and leave to cool.
Christmas Vegetable Layer Bake with Spicy & Sweet Cashews & Grilled Portabello's
- 6 tbsp olive oil, yes 6
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 x 250g packets microwave Coconut rice, re heated
- 1 x 400g Bijoux canned green lentils, rinsed
- 90g toasted pine nuts
- 4 large courgettes, washed and again sliced in 3/4cm slices lengthways
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into long 3/4cm slices, must be peeled whole and sliced
- 2 x 290g jars roasted peppers drained well
- 100mls roughly strong vegetable stock
- 8 Portabello mushrooms
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 100g honey roasted cashews
- pinch two chilli powder
- 2 tbsp runny honey or maple syrup
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp chopped basil
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed well
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 150g creme fraiche
- pepper and salt to taste
- Pre heat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Heat the 6 tbsp of oil in a saucepan, and add the spices, cook for a minute, then add the onions and garlic.
- Cook for a good 10 minutes, browning REALLY well.
- Next add the warmed rice sachets, lentils, pinenuts, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place a 32cm x 24cm x 5cm deep baking dish onto a board and place half the sliced courgettes so it covers the bottom perfectly. Season well.
- Spoon over half the rice/lentil mix and spread over evenly, season well.
- Arrange the squash slices on top making sure they fit evenly and perfectly, season well.
- Spoon on the last of the rice.
- Lay the last courgette slice on top, then cut open the red peppers and lay on top so you end up with a perfectly full and pepper topped casserole.
- Spoon over the veg stock cover with foil tightly and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- After an hour remove foil, lightly oil the peppers.
- Place back in the oven uncovered and drive off the moisture until the bake is nice and firm, about 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven, press down with a potato masher well, cool, cover with film and chill well, best overnight.
- When ready to serve, turn on the grill and season the mushrooms well with salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil. Cook until slightly shrivelled and with a meaty texture.
- Place the nuts into a small bowl and add the chilli powder honey or maple syrup, mix well and pop into the oven to glaze nicely, take care they will burn.
- Finally, place the herbs, capers, olive oil, chilli and garlic into a small hand blender and blitz to a smooth green paste.
- Spoon into a bowl add salt, pepper and the crème fraiche and mix well.
- To serve, cut nice neat squares, cover with cling film and microwave until warmed through perfectly.
- Serve in a deep bowl, topped with a grilled mushroom, spoon or two of the crème fraiche and a few toasted nuts.
© UTV News