Harris 'should not be accused of lying'

Published Thursday, 05 June 2014
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

Former Crimewatch presenter Sue Cook has told a court that Rolf Harris should not be accused of lying after forgetting a game show appearance in the 1970s - because she cannot recall being in the programme either.

Harris 'should not be accused of lying'
Rolf Harris denies all charges. (© Getty)

The 65-year-old writer and broadcaster, who appeared in the Star Games series two or three times, said celebrities were "bussed in" to a recreation area, and the city or town was "immaterial".

She took to Twitter on Monday after seeing coverage of Harris's indecent assault trial on television.

Harris had told the jury at London's Southwark Crown Court that he had never been to Cambridge until four years ago, but it later emerged that he had appeared in a Star Games show in the city in 1978.

One alleged victim claimed that the entertainer had grabbed her bottom when she was waitressing at an event there in 1975, although prosecutors say she may have got the date wrong.

Ms Cook told the court: "I said to my husband "Gosh, that's not fair - I wouldn't have remembered it was Cambridge either".

"I don't think he can be accused of lying because I can't remember it. I was a participant in that game show but I wouldn't have known it was Cambridge either."

She said she did not remember Harris having been in the same episode as her, and told the jury that, during her four decades in broadcasting, she had forgotten "loads" of events she had been to.

The BBC Radio 4 presenter said that, on one occasion, her mother-in-law gave her a DVD of an event at the Royal Opera House, and she assumed she had confused her with Sue Lawley.

She told the court: "To my amazement it was me hosting a gala event at the Royal Opera House.

"I have no memory whatsoever of doing it."

In cross-examination by Sasha Wass QC, she admitted that she would not "swear blind" under oath that she had not been somewhere for work.

Harris is standing trial for 12 counts of indecent assault on four women between 1968 and 1986, all of which he denies.

Earlier, the court heard from Harris's former tour manager, Ken Jeacle, who said women fans would "rush up" to the performer and put their arms around him.

He would have to "extract" the star from those situations to avoid fans getting too close, the court heard.

Speaking via video-link from Australia, Mr Jeacle said: "Rolf Harris, as I observed, was a gentleman who was a very affectionate, warm, outgoing personality. His tendency to be demonstrative with outward affection is constant.

"He has absolutely no problem whatsoever with giving somebody a warm embrace, he's done it to me a million times.

"His behaviour to other people has always been as a gentleman."

The trial will continue next week when final speeches will begin.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
0 Comments
No comments. Be the first to comment.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]

Watch the best on UTV

UTV main logo
The Jonathan Ross Show
25 October - 10:10 pm

The Jonathan Ross Show

Fun-filled chat show. Guests include actors L...

The X Factor
25 October - 8:00 pm

The X Factor

Dermot O'Leary hosts as the remaining acts pe...

MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Lynda Bellingham: 1948-2014
Mon 20 October 2014
Ryder Cup 2014 - Day One
Fri 26 September 2014
The X Factor: Judges
Fri 03 October 2014