Published Thursday, 19 June 2014
Harrison Ford is "doing well" after his surgery. (© Getty)
The 71-year-old was originally thought to have damaged his ankle during the incident at Pinewood Studios last week.
The star, who is reprising his role as Han Solo in the popular series, was airlifted to hospital from the set after the accident.
Ford's publicist said he is "doing well" after surgery on his left leg and he is looking forward to returning to work on the film.
"Harrison Ford's left leg was broken in an accident," his publicist said. "His surgery was successful and he will begin rehab shortly. He's doing well and looks forward to returning to work."
Ford has been in the UK working on Episode VII of the series with director JJ Abrams.
Production on the film began last month, with original cast members of the Star Wars Trilogy Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher also joining Ford.
The movie is set to be released in December next year.
© UTV News