Published Tuesday, 20 May 2014
Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at court in Chelmsford. (© PA)
The 25-year-old N-Dubz star and former X Factor judge denies the assault charge against her which arose out of an alleged altercation with writer Savvas Morgan at the V Festival in Essex last year.
Mr Morgan claimed that he had suffered swelling to the eye as a result of the incident, which Contostavlos described in court as nothing more than a "playground slanging match".
The singer is charged alongside her assistant Gareth Varey, who is accused of and denies threatening behaviour, with Chelmsford Magistrates' Court hearing their police statements on Tuesday.
Contostavlos had told officers that Mr Morgan has previously made "unfounded and vicious" allegations against them and that he held "considerable ill-feeling and resentment".
That was said to stem from an incident at a London nightclub when Contostavlos asked security to request that the blogger leave a VIP area.
In referring to the alleged assault, she insisted that she was "at no point" threatening or abusive, adding: "In fact, I had my hands behind my back as I knew he was capable of inventing assault claims as he had done against Gareth (Varey) in the past."
This is my life on the line, my livelihood. I cannot believe it has been taken to this point.
Varey's statement also denied that any attack had taken place.
"Neither of us would have done this as it was exactly the reaction he was looking for so he could make unfounded allegations against her and me," he told police.
A detective sergeant told the court that musicians including Misha B, Mutya Buena, Alexandra Burke and Wretch 32 had been asked to give witness statements to police through their representatives.
No such statements had been provided.
According to Mr Morgan, Contostavlos accused him of stalking her and swore at him prior to the assault, which he said happened as he was about to leave the venue.
Both the singer and her assistant are on unconditional bail.
On Tuesday, Contostavlos appeared before the court to give evidence and was asked by her barrister if she had assaulted Mr Morgan.
"Most definitely not," she replied.
Contostavlos went on to say that she believed the blogger was "involved a lot more than he made out" in the leaking of a sex tape to the press.
She added that she had no grudge against him, saying: "There were many people involved.
"I feel that some of the things he was doing were very mean - I didn't like the man, but he was one of many people who had issues or dramas with me.
"It's part of my life and I'm pretty used to it by now."
The case continues.
© UTV News