Australian teen shares 'final goodbye'

Published Wednesday, 16 May 2012
Comments
Toggle font size

A teenage boy's emotional video message to his friends, breaking the news that he is dying from chronic heart rejection, has moved more than one million people after ending up on YouTube.

Australian Shaun Wilson-Miller, 17, intended to only share the video with close friends on Facebook - but it has now been viewed by over 1,372,500 people from all over the world, with many inspired by his bravery.

Fighting back tears, the Melbourne teen struggles to greet his friends with the words: "Hi, guys ... I have some bad news I want to tell you all ..."

Shaun had just been told by doctors that a second heart transplant - his only hope for survival - had failed.

I hope I left footprints in all of your hearts.

Shaun Wilson-Miller

"I have chronic heart rejection and I won't be here for as long as I thought ..." he tells his friends.

But, despite the tragic news, the teenager has just one dying wish and urges his loved ones not to cry for him - asking instead that they look after his dad.

The heartbreaking video quickly went viral, prompting an out-pouring of support which saw Shaun get to meet his Aussie Rules hero Jobe Watson and even make an appearance on television show Neighbours.

"I want to say that this has been an awesome ride and I have no regrets," Shaun says in his message.

"Live life to the fullest, 'cause you never know what's going to happen."

Telling his friends and family how much he loves them and will miss them, he ends the message simply: "Bye ... Love from Shaun.

"See ya."

© UTV News
Comments Comments
7 Comments
J in Co Down wrote (775 days ago):
I watched this today for the first time. Absolutely heart breaking. What a great selfless young man. I think that it took me at least 4 goes to watch it,I can not imagine what it is like for his family. I have also just learn that he lost his fight for life on 26/May. May you rest in peace.
Paddy in Armagh wrote (784 days ago):
Should this really be posted in the "Entertainment" section... someone pouring their heart out because they are dying is hardly "Entertainment"... then again, these days it doesn't really surprise me
Iseult in NI wrote (788 days ago):
This is so sad, but it's also good to see bravery and thoughtfulness from such a young person. I like how he asks his friends to look after his dad. It's certainly true that we don't know what's round the corner in life, so we should live life to the max, make the most of each day and not fuss over all the petty little things that annoy us.
Paul in Derry wrote (797 days ago):
The next time your kids are throwing a strop because you refuse to buy them the new DS game they "need" or have a tantrum because you've bought them the wrong trainers, bring them in, sit them down and make them watch this poor lad's video. Kind of helps you put things in perspective. God bless you Shaun, I am so heartfelt sorry for you!
Eileen in Fermanagh wrote (798 days ago):
I cannot believe that this young lad of 17 hasnt long left and yet is an inspiration to us all with his final goodbye. I cried as I watched the video, it is just heartbreaking to listen to his wonderful words of wisdom and love. As he says live life to the full because we dont know what tomorrow will bring. How true is this, that is why everyone should respect, love and hold no bitterness towards anyone, because then there are no regrets. Hope his Dad and family keep strong and that his friends will do as he has asked and look after his Dad.